Friday 11 September 2015

Book review: Hopebreaker by Dean F. Wilson

Hopebreaker

This is the first steampunk novel I've read, and it was everything I thought it would be. There's this strange sense of an old Western, but with a little something extra. The descriptions truly pulled me into this strange world, but left enough to my imagination that I could focus on the story rather than minute details.

I was drawn into the book from the first paragraph...and then it faltered. It seemed every sentence had a clichéd metaphor, or two, and it began to grate on me. Thankfully, the world and the story-telling was enough for me to continue on.

I'll admit it was a bit of a struggle to get through the first half, and even by the end I still am not sure if the main character Jacob is likeable, but by the end I felt compelled to read the second book of the series. There's so much to know about the world Wilson has created. I'd like to know more back story, and how the world came to be the way it was depicted in the novel, but I'm glad I didn't get it all in one go. It gives me something to imagine, and wonder for the following books. Of course, at the same time I understand that what the reader isn't told doesn't need to be known yet. I get that. I use it in my own novel. The saving grace is that there is the promise of more information to come.

Lovers of steampunk and vague lines between good and evil will really enjoy this novel. I say vague only because something tells me that there's more to the demon situation than what Wilson has portrayed thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment