Wednesday 27 March 2019

Book Review: Ours is the Storm by D. Thourson Palmer

24390652

Ours is the Storm tells the story of the Huumphar, the people of the plains, and their struggle against King Halkoriv. They longed for the appearance of their saviour, the one to fight with them against the corrupt and evil king. Revik longed for vengeance on the man who held him prisoner. In time, the fates of all peoples wound together in one final battle that would put an end to an ancient and hungry power. For theirs was the Storm.

I often have a hard time really getting into fantasy like Ours is the Storm. Worlds tend to be detailed in a way that is overwhelming for the reader with too many additions to the plot that really add nothing. Thankfully, this is not the case with Palmer’s writing. The world and people are introduced slowly and organically. It’s honestly a very good example of showing, not telling (as much as I hate that phrase). The focus shifted between chapters well, and rather than keep the reader waiting for chapters and chapters, things were planned in a way that we could keep up with what was happening off stage. The first few chapters I did find flipped a bit too much within the chapter itself, but that sorted itself out after chapter four or five.

While the world itself was well built, it was still a little difficult for me to picture the kingdom. Despite some mentions of time passing, it was difficult to get a sense of how far people travelled. That could be simply my lacking, rather than the fault of Palmer. What I did really rather enjoy, were the simple twists and turns I was taken on, the bait and switches, and the inclusion of a strong female character. Yes, she was still seen as a romantic goal, but she was strong because that’s who she was. Not because Palmer needed to add a strong female to check off a list, as I have seen many authors do. Her strength fulfilled a purpose. In fact, every character seemed to have a purpose.

I think perhaps my favourite part of the novel was that we think we know the main players, the important people, but really they were the side characters in someone else’s story. Had the entire novel been from the saviour’s point of view, I think it would have been far less entertaining. I’ve read that story before. I haven’t read this one (unless you include Lord of the Rings. It was all Aragorn’s story, after all but I digress).

If you’re a fan of medium-high fantasy with a well-planned world, Ours is the Storm is the book for you. It has a beautiful ending that leaves it open for more, but can sit well as is. I also suggest this novel to those who need a little encouragement finding the strength within yourself to follow your destiny.

You can buy the book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment