Thursday 14 March 2019

Book review: Madworld (Book One) by Rob Alvir

24973090



Right away I can say that I was turned off by the book within the first few pages. The narrator is a bit grating, and heavily misogynistic, which I really dislike just in general. I don’t make excuses for it, as though it’s a writing style. It’s not. And whether that’s the character of the narrator to have those thoughts, I really don’t want to read it like it’s okay. And not even twenty pages there are so many other issues: editing, over-explanation, unbelievable characters and situations. A drug is being tested for the first time, the lead researcher hasn’t shown up and no one has bothered to call her to see where she is?

Even the description of Madworld itself could have been done much simpler. It was as though the author was trying to make it sound more complicated as to impress the reader. I’m not buying it, unfortunately. It doesn’t help that things are explained over and over. If the intention is to drive the reader mad, as perhaps it might be, then the author has certainly achieved that. Unfortunately, it doesn’t endear the book to me at all. I do understand the over-explanation was showing the psyche of Max especially, and how everyone experiences it differently but it could have been done much differently.

And then, just like that, book one is finished. I feel a little ripped off only having Book 1 but it's probably for the best. Also, the bad guys? Aliens. Because of course. When I was first asked to review this novel, it was advertised as though I was getting the entirety of it but then realized I only received Book 1. Again, it's probably for the best. I'm sure the rest gets into more details about Matt's descent into madness (and Madworld) and if you can get past the writing then maybe you'll be able to enjoy the rest of it.

I really dislike writing negative reviews. Even more, I dislike warning people against reading something. Unfortunately, this will be one of those times. Although maybe it gets better and more enticing in later books, but I wasn't hooked enough to look into it which is unfortunate as the premise itself (Madword, maybe not the alien part) is quite intriguing.


You can buy the book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment